MrShorty

Benjilop's IF function should work. I expect you are entering
percentages (98%=0.98 which is always <96). Adjusting the above IF
function (or your input in C1) accordingly and it should work.

The IF function is limited in the number of nested IF's you can have.
If you ever wanted to expand the scores, a lookup table approach might
be needed. In this case, I set up a lookup table in an out of the way
place:

0 1
96 2
98 3
99.7 4

put my lookup value in A1 and B1=vlookup(a1,$M$1:$N$4,2,TRUE). The
last parameter controls whether or not VLOOKUP finds an exact match or
not. With it set to TRUE (It's TRUE by default, so it can be omitted,
if you like. See VLOOKUP in Excel help) the function will return the
value in the row just less than the lookup value in a1. For example,
if a1=97, the function says, "I don't see a 97 in the table, but I see
a 96, so I'll return the value corresponding to 96."

Either approach should work just fine in this case.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181