Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default ranking with 2 parameters of inverse relation

"Max" wrote:
Think you could associate it via simply using:
Amt divided by Num of Days Assume Amts in
B2 down, Num of Days in C2 down[.] In D2,
copied down: =B2/C2 Then in E2, copied down:
=RANK(D2,D$2:D$100)

That was my initial thought, too. And that does seem to be the way that
"Eddy" wants to rank customers.

But then I wondered: why should a customer who pays 5k in 30 be ranked
"lower" than a customer who pays 50k in 299 days? Is that really what "Eddy"
wants?

(Where "lower rank" means higher rank number, according to Max's formula.
Set the third RANK parameter to 1 if you want "lower rank" to mean lower rank
number.)

So I thought: shouldn't they be ranked by their NPV?

But that leads to some results that might be contrary to the way that "Eddy"
wants it to be. For example, the 5k/30day customer is ranked higher (lower
RANK number) than the 500k/32day customer based on NPV.