TomHinkle

Well that was certainly rude...

I think any object oriented programming book you read will tell you that you
shouldn't drive business processes with elements of the UI...

Also

Best is subjective.. don't simply reply to be smart. In my opinion my
reply was the best and I have HAD to write code to filter on cell colors.. in
my experience it leads to more problems than benefits.

Good day

"Alan Beban" wrote:

No. The best answer is "Google on 'Excel count colors'".

Alan Beban

TomHinkle wrote:
The BEST answer is to NOT have the application differentiate soley on color..
If it's significant enough that there are meaningful colors assigned to the
cells, than it's meaningful enough to merit another column storing an actual
piece of data. you can still have your conditional formatting, BUT it's much
easier down the road if you actually have a flag designating that row's
characteristic (ie low, medium, high, etc)

** And I have had to make code work off of a background color... good rule
of thumb, NEVER have coding logic/formulas operate off of aspects of the
interface.. What are you going to do if you want to move this to a database
someday?

"Kelly Lim" wrote:

Can someone pls help me asap?
Im trying to find out if Excel can do this kind of formulas?
I have a spreadsheet with columns of names on it....with some different
colours ....
E.g. Some Name with red colour....
Some Name with peach colour....
and some Name without colour....

and then i like to know how many cells in the spreadsheet is red colour?
how many cells is in peach colour?
how many cells is without colour?

Can someone please let me know if its possible in Excel??
Thanks a lot....