Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel - Ignoring the contents of cells when there are letters in t

If A1 thru A3 contain:

1
junk
3

then =A1+A2+A3 will show an error
however =SUM(A1:A3) will show 4
This is because the SUM() function ignores text.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"James McErlain" wrote:

When using MS Works I can enter letters and numbers in a cell and the total of the cells in a row will be calculated correctly(for my particular requirement) by ignoring anyone of the cells in the row which has letters and numbers together. All the cells are formated as 'General'.

When I try to do this task in Excel it gives an error in the result cell.
Note that any cell may have a mixture of letters and cells.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
James

Bing Search RSS with Silverlight 3 RIA Domain Service
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...with-silv.aspx
.