Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default How can I sort "oldest to newest?"

If your column of dates are "real" dates Excel will offer the "oldest to
newest" and "newest to oldest".

Have you somehow re-formatted the dates to text?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:22:20 -0500, "Laurel" wrote:

I have a little spread shee with a column called "date" that contains dates
in a "*3/14/2001" format. That's what I see when I highlight all its cells
and click "format cells." I'm accustomed to sorting by clicking on the
column header and then the "sort xxx to xxx" icon. Five minutes ago I did
this and was offered "sort oldest to newest" and "sort newest to oldest"
menu items. I don't know exactly what I did after that, but now when I try
to do the same thing I'm only offered "sort A to Z" and "Sort Z to A." This
doesn't work out right, of course. What's going on?

TIA
LAS