Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC hotmail com> KC hotmail com> is offline

Default Match

Assuming Sheet2 starts on row 2:
=if(iserror(vlookup(A2,Sheet1!A:A,1,0)),"",vlookup (A2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))
This will return only the first instance of a match...so in your example, if
you had 3 Jim's in your list, it would return the first one it can find in
Sheet1, regardless of the order in Sheet1. Also note the list in Sheet1 does
not need to be alphabetized with this formula (the vlookup with ,0 at the end
means find an exact match in an unsorted list).
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"Jim" wrote:

Hello,

I would like to ask for help with a formula.

If I have data in two columns of one sheet; and on the second sheet I would
like to bring over only the second column if the data in the first columns
matches - what is hte formula I would use for this?

Example:
Sheet 1 - Column A "jim" Column B "Smith"
Sheet 2 - Column A "jim" column B (formula that would pull over Smith when
it matches the jim).

Thanks for the help.
Jim