Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tg tg is offline

Default Excel Question-Macros?

I want to have a file running in the background for "Materials". In the
materials.xls file it would have the specific gravity for example.

Then in a new file called "quoting template", I could drop down a menu using
validation list or the lookup fuction t select the material.

When I use a macro, I close the file and open it, (security settings on
medium), it asks to enable macros. I hit yes. However in my quoting template
the drop down menu doesn't work until I actually run the macro for materials
list.

So if I had it running when I started Excel, I wouldn't have to use a macro
then?

I hope this helps explain what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Tom

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Via a macro???

You can turn application.screenupdating to false, but if you can't see the
screen, how would you use a dropdown.

I guess I don't understand the question...

TG wrote:

Is it possible to run a excel program as excel opens but run it in the
background so you can't see it?

I am trying to use the lookup command using another work book and also using
a dropdown menu in the cell.

Thanks-Tom

--

Dave Peterson