Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stef Gunn Stef Gunn is offline

Default Is it possible to change the default number format in Excel?

Hi...

Your advice - how does that apply to new Excel? Formatstylenormal doesn't
exist in this version...

For some crazy reason, as of yesterday, every workbook I open auto formats
cells to "Accounting" format (those that used to be "General") - Why is
this?! This is driving me crazy and costing me a lot of time to manually
correct.

Can I turn this off?!

Thanks to help you can offer!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You can change it, but I bet you won't want to.

You can change the normal style of a workbook by:
format|style|choose normal from the dropdown
click on the modify button and change the format to what you want.

First bad thing:
Styles are kept with workbooks. So you'll have to do this to any new or
existing workbook.

Partial good thing:
You can create a workbook template named book.xlt and store it in your XLStart
folder. If you change the normal style for this template file, then any new
workbook that you start by clicking the New icon on the standard toolbar will
inherit this style.

Second bad thing (and why I bet you won't do it):
Dates are numbers. If you change the normal style to (say) two decimal, then
type a date, you'll see the trouble. (Interesting, (well, to me anyway), typing
a time doesn't cause the same trouble.)

--

Dave Peterson