Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Formula that will not return "0" from a blank line

Hi,

To count only text values, you could use =countif(loads,"*")

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"indyjojo" wrote in message
Using excel 2003

I have a workbook that I will be using to calculate stumpage and payroll.
get the data moved from the load sheet to the stumpage sheet, I have
=(cell
address) and I copied that down. There are 30 lines of data but not all
lines
will be used. If there is no data in a line I get "0" on the stumpage
sheet.

For this cycle there are only 11 loads. On the stumpage sheet, I entered
the
formula =count(loads) (loads is the range name of the 30 lines of data in
colA). I choose count because in that column I have ticket numbers. So I
wanted to know how many cells had numbers in that column so I would know
how
many lines would be on the stumpage sheet.

I need a formula that will look in the cell and return only the cells that
have text.
Any help would be appreciated.