Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Right function

The following formula will handle names with and without middle initials (my wife doesn't have a middle name so if you had her name in your data, there would only be two parts to her name, not three)...

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))1))+1,99)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Paul S" wrote in message ...
I have a spreadsheet of 400 names consisting of first name, middle initial
and surname (e.g. Joe x Blogs) and want to create a new column that just
gives me the surname. I'm sure that it can be done with the Right function
but just can't find the correct method to do it. Any help appreciated. Thanks