Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default vlookup

Try the below array formula which will lookup the value in current sheet cell
C1 in Sheet1,Sheet2,Sheet3 ColA and return the matching value from ColB of
these sheets

=VLOOKUP(C1,INDIRECT("Sheet"&MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(IN DIRECT("Sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:3"))&"!A:A"),B1)0, 0)&"!A:B"),2,0)

You create array formulas in the same way that you create other formulas,
except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula. If successful in
'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"

--
Jacob

"jude" wrote:

Hi
I have a spreadsheet with multiple sheets in it. I need to do a vlookup on
a value (that is input as part of a list) across several sheets. Is this
possible?
The sheets all look the same, I am looking for a shortcut rather than cut &
pasting the data.
cheers
Jude