Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cajun-bob cajun-bob is offline

Default Formula to calculate % using negative values

(this post may appear twice as I am unable to locate my original post)

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me.

I have developed a workbook to track my portfolio on a weekly basis. One
component of my portfolio is my "Line of Credit" which always contain
negative values.

For example, last week I had a -$5,000 balance and this week I have a
-$6,000 balance. The week over week change is -$1,000 or -20%.

Presently, my workbook correctly reflects the -$1,000 weekly change but
shows the percentage change as a positive (rather than negative) 20% weekly
change. The formula for weekly % change that I am using is as follows:
=+(B421-B420)/B420 (where B421 is this week's negative balance of -$6,000
and B420 is last week's negative balance of -$5,000.)

Could you please tell me how to change the formula (or anything else) so
that my workbook will reflect the -20% weekly change?

By the way, the formula I am using to determine my $ weekly change is simply:
=+B421-B420

Thank you.

Bob