Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default text fragment comparison

Hi,

You say the cutoff is the 4th but rows1 & 2 don't have one so we can't use
that. Can we rely on 2010 (presumably the year) being there?

Mike

"ChrisM" wrote:

i must count similar pathways, but to a limited extent:
eg: column:
RIOASSUDroit Ã* partir de 2010
RIOASSUDroit avant 2010
RIOASSUDroit avant 2010Montant minimum
RIOASSUDroit avant 2010Montant minimumRégime général
RIOASSUDroit avant 2010Montant minimumRégime indépendant

The structure of the text is always the same; i always compare the cell
below to the direct cell above.
The 'cut of' lies on the 4th ""
So: if the texte before the 4th "" is the same: true (0)
if the texte before the 4th "" is differente: false (1)
Objectif: to count the number of different publications, detected by pathway
indications.

in the example: row 2 is different from row 1 -- false = 1
row 3 is similar to row 2 -- true =0

Anybody who knows how to compare fragments of texte?

Thanks a lot,

ChrisM