Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Counta not counting correctly!!

Hi,

COUNTA is the wrong function, try this

=COUNTIF(C22:C29,"Yes")

or if you mean contains the string yes among other words try this

=COUNTIF(C22:C29,"*Yes*")

Mike

"Meenie" wrote:

Ok, I'm tearing my hair out.
I have Excel 2003.
I have a very simple formula to count the number of "yes" answers in a
column but it isn't calculating correctly.
=counta(c22:c29,"*y*") should = 8 (In this instance all the answers are yes)
but instead it is returning an answer of 9.
There are no hidden rows or columns. What could cause this?
I have many other columns to apply this formula to, many of them are much
longer than this one which I can easily see isn't coming out correctly - I
need to know my formula is working correctly!
thanks, Meenie