Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] is offline

Default Match values in more than one column

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 04:30:09 -0800 (PST), Richhall
wrote:

Hi

I have three columns of data and wish to highlight the matches or
change the format if there are any duplicates.

i.e

A B C

Apple Banana Cheese
Banana Orange Milk
Chocolate Milk Water
Biscuits Pear Bread
Wafers Plum Banana

So Banana would be highlighted in all, Milk in B and C. I assume I'd
use conditional formatting, but the MATCH function only seems to let
me compare against 1 column, not a full range.

Is there a simple way of doing this, or do I need some sort of
function to add together the matches and then conditional format?

If this can be done in VB that is fine as there is a script that
creates the lists so I could append to that.

Cheers

Rich

If you have Excel 2007 this is easily achived by Conditional
Formatting that you find it in the Styles section of the Home tab.
Select the entire table then choose Conditional Formatting -
Highlight Cell Rules - Duplicate Values

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke