Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן is offline

Default How do you randomly assign numbers without getting duplicates?

It seems to work for 10 cells so it should work for 9004, as well, if you'll
change the references.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6681/nonamext.png
Micky

"Meesh" wrote:

I'm trying to randomly assign a number between 1 and 9004 for a mailing list
in Excel. What I plan to do, is then sort cases from smallest number (1) to
largest number (9004) and take the first half to use in my sample for a
survey project. I want each 'case' in the list to recieve one number b/w 1
and 9004 with NO duplicates. The formulas I have tried using with no success
in eliminating duplicates a =TRUNC(RAND()*9004) and
=TRUNC(RAND()*9004-1)+1.
Please help!