Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default adding numbers in a column with dates

Are the other values text ('11/15) or really numbers?

If they're really text, you could use: =sum(a1:a10)
Text values will be ignored.

If they're really numbers (maybe dates???), then this won't work for you.

I'd add another column that would be used as an indicator. Put an X in the row
if that value in column A should be summed.

=sumif(b:b,"x",a:a)

If those 11/15's are really dates, and the values aren't very big, you could use
a fromula like:

=sumif(a:a,"<"&date(2000,1,1))

Dates are just numbers to excel. And Jan 1, 2000 is 40177 (with 1904 as the
base year).

piklelila wrote:

I have a column with dates and numbers. I want to add up the numbers at the
bottom of the column. For example:
A1 11/15
A2 33
A3 11/20
A4 45
A5 11/24
A6 66
etc...

I just want to add A2, A4, A6, etc.... Is there an easy way to do this? I
know that I can single out by =SUM(A2,A4,A6), but there are a lot more to add
in the column and I'll be doing it for each month. This way would be so
tedious and time consuming. Can anyone help?

--

Dave Peterson