Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Thomas195 Thomas195 is offline

Default Opening EXCEL Documents in separate Windows vs. a Shared Window

I own Microsoft Office 2007 Home & Student, which provides me with three
installs at any time and I only use Word & Excel.

On my first machine, a notebook with XP, I had installed Office a few times
because of needing to reinstall Windows. I no longer have this machine.

On my second machine, a 64-bit notebook with XP, I've installed Office
several times because of: upgrading the hard drive twice, trying Vista before
going back to XP, trying Windows 7 RC and then finally purchasing and
installing Windows 7 Professional (64-bit).

The third machine, a new 64-bit desktop which shipped with Vista H.P. 64. I
installed 7 RC before ever putting Office 2007 on this machine. Now I have it
upgraded to 7 Home Premium and have installed Office.

The dozens of times that I have installed Office 2007, when I opened an
existing document (in any Office application), each document would open in
it's own window, each a completely separate instance of the application.
This has been the "default" operation on all of my machines, the machines at
my last employer, and the machines that I've been using at school this year.

On most boards, people seem to be shocked or surprised by this operation,
some saying it isn't possible and that multiple word or excel documents
always open up in a single instance of the software. I suppose each way has
it's own benefits.

With the Retail Release of Windows 7 (but not XP, Vista 32, Vista 64,
Windows 7 RC (7100) 32-bit, or Windows 7 RC (7100) 64-bit), when I install
Office 2007 and open existing documents (from double-clicking or right
clicking the file (or shortcut and selecting open), each Excel document now
opens in the same window (the same, shared instance of Excel 2007). However,
with Word, it still functions as it always has for me -- each document opens
in a new window, or "copy", of Word 2007. It doesn't matter if I install it
with no service packs, if I install only SP1, or if I install SP2, the same
thing happens.

I would like to know how to change Office applications' setup to allow me to
return Excel to it's previous default operation... opening a document from
it's shortcut and then other document and having each open in a new Excel
2007 Window. As I said, this has always worked this way on XP through
Windows 7 RC but no longer in Windows 7 RTM (full, retail release).

How do I change the operation of these applications?

Thank you for any help you can provide.