Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Testing

I'm at a complete loss because a response to my own Testing message failed
to be posted. I'm only guessing that this one will get through. I'm using
Windows Mail (Vista's equivalent to Outlook Express in earlier versions of
Windows).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Joe User" <joeu2004 wrote in message
Rick, I had a similar experience yesterday. In one particular thread, one
response of mine (a previous day) appeared, as did a test response, but
one particular response did not appear when I used the MSNews server. I
tried several times in a period about 24 hours; none appears even today.
But the exact same response (copy and paste) did appear on the Google
Groups and MS Discussion Groups servers when I posted it through each
server. (They still not appear on the MSNews server).

In m.p.test.here, I discovered that I could post the text of that response
as both a new message and a response using the MSNews server, and the text
of the response appeared on the MSNews server when I posted a new message
using Google Groups. (I could not get to m.p.test.here using the MSDG
server.) But if I tried to post a response to the GG message using the
MSNews server, it did not appear on any of the MSNews, GG or MSDG servers,
suggesting that the MSNews server dropped the message.

My first thought was: the problem was due to a very long line that I had
in the text. But the response to the GG message continued to fail to
appear even if I broke up the line manually.

My suspicion is: the MSNews server is dropping some responses (only to GG
messages?!) if they have a certain form (TBD). That does not make much
sense to me. But it is the only explanation that I have so far that fits
all of the facts.