Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
trip_to_tokyo[_3_] trip_to_tokyo[_3_] is offline

Default work with conventional dates for axis scale

In EXCEL 2007 take the following action (as a simple example that gives you
what you want):-

1. In cells G 13 to G 22 inclusive format the cells as follows:-

- highlight the cells / right click / Format Cells / Number tab (set
Category: to Date and Type: to * 14 March 2001) / click OK.

You have now formatted the said range of cells as date.

2. In cells H 13 to H 22 inclusive enter the numbers 1 to 10.

3. Highlight the range of cells:-

G 13 to H 22 inclusive

4. Insert / Charts group / Column / in 2-D Column click on Clustered Column

5. You should now get a chart with date the way that you want them on the
horizontal axis.

Thanks.

"gkr" wrote:

How do I scale a time-scale axis using the conventional date format instead
of a date in the mysterious long string of numbers that randomly shows up for
the dates? Why does this change from chart to chart (sometimes conventional
date formatting, sometimes the string of numbers) and how do I change it or
prevent it from being that way in the first place?