Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Alternate row comparison

Score 1 2 1 3 0 6 greater
Score 2 0 0 0 0 0
Score 1 1 0 0 1 2
Score 2 0 1 2 0 3 greater

2 is greater than 0. Shouldn't that row say greater?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"GB3" <u57077@uwe wrote in message news:a12bd3252ed3e@uwe...
I've seen a few similar problems, but not quite what I'm seeking help for
here.
My goal is to write a formula to compare 2 rows of summed values for a
lengthy spreadsheet - comparing the values of even-row scores and odd-row
scores -- (Col G) here.
So 5 is 3 for rows 1&2; 4 is 3 for rows 3&4, etc.

Here's an example:

Score 1 3 0 0 0 3
Score 2 0 3 1 1 5 greater
Score 1 1 2 0 0 3
Score 2 0 0 2 2 4 greater
Score 1 0 2 3 1 6 greater
Score 2 1 0 0 4 5
Score 1 2 1 3 0 6 greater
Score 2 0 0 0 0 0
Score 1 1 0 0 1 2
Score 2 0 1 2 0 3 greater

I have used the MOD function to identify whether the row is even or odd,
but
I can't determine how to write the expression that in essence would say,
that
if the value of the Col G entry in row 3 is than the value of the entry
in
Col G in row 4, then write "greater" in row 3, Col H.

In a related vein, is it possible to subscript in Excel formulas? --
e.g., G
[Row()] so as to refer to G3 when the formula is in Row 3?

Thanks very much.