Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Row position of specified column and value

"engineer" wrote:
I expect the result 3. Hence Max' formula
didn't accomplish what I needed it to ..

The amazing thing is that it DOES return the correct value 3. I suspect that
you did not/correctly array-enter the formula as specified in my response. If
you didn't array-enter the formula, then it returns an incorrect result of 1.

Here's living proof of the expression working fine:
http://cjoint.com/?mxl3f8gzei

Notice the curly braces { } around the array formula in the formula bar.
These are inserted by Excel when you do the array-enter correctly. If you
don't see these curlies, then it wasn't done correctly, and you need to click
inside the formula bar and re-do the CSE. Recheck visually again. This is the
ONLY way to confirm that its correctly array-entered. Success at long last?
Celebrate it, whack the YES below.
--
Max
Singapore