Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Comment with date stamp

Sub CommentDateTimeAdd()
Dim strDate As String
Dim cmt As Comment

strDate = "dd-mmm-yy h:mm:ss AM/PM"
Set cmt = ActiveCell.Comment

Set cmt = ActiveCell.AddComment
cmt.Text Text:=Format(Now, strDate) & Chr(10) _
& "NOTE:"

End Sub

You can assign the macro to InsertComment if you wish.

Steps for Excel 2003 and earlier.

Stick the macro in a general module in your workbook.

Then in Excel ToolsCustomize.

InsertComment..............assign the macro to Comment command.

I have not worked with 2007 enough to give help on assigning a macro to an
existing command.

Ron de Bruin is the master of that.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

Excel 2007 Ribbon and QAT pages

Gord

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 03:23:01 +0000, Keyrookie
wrote:

Thank you, Gord. After following Debra's instructions I realize I'm
wanting some further edits. Is there a way to have this without having
to run a macro? Insert into the "ThisWorkbook" and have the time format
not military?

Any ideas...

Gord Dibben;911705 Wrote:
See Debra Dalgleish's site for full Insert Comment with date/time code

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlcomments03.html#DateTime

Here is revised version which pre-supposes no existing Comment in cell
and
adds the "NOTE:" all in bold font.

Sub CommentDateTimeAdd()
Dim strDate As String
Dim cmt As Comment

strDate = "dd-mmm-yy hh:mm:ss"
Set cmt = ActiveCell.Comment

Set cmt = ActiveCell.AddComment
cmt.Text Text:=Format(Now, strDate) & Chr(10) _
& "NOTE:"

End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:09:31 +0000, Keyrookie
wrote:
-

Is there a way to have a comment, when "Insert Comment" is selected,

look like this?

12-19-09 (current date), 12:02 p.m. (current time)
NOTE:

In other words, have comments display current date & time when
selected?

Thanks,
K-