Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default what does the "carat" character mean in Excel - answer

Double caret ^^ does nothing.

=2^^3 throws an error.

Maybe you meant to type =2^3^4 which is same as =2^12

Where have you seen a double caret ^^ used?

I sometimes use ^^ in an editreplace operation.

EditReplace

What: =

With: ^^

Replace all.

I will do this when I want to copy linked formulas from one workbook to
another without creating a link to source workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:16:01 -0800 (PST), fullgale1
wrote:

On Nov 30, 12:38*pm, Daryl S wrote:
Jackson -

I can't reply to your posting directly - I suspect the "^" character in your
posting subject may be the culprit.

To answer your question, the carat represents a 'to the power of' operation.
*That is x^2 means x squared (x times itself). * y^3 means y cubed (y times y
times y).

Hope that helps!

--
Daryl S

Hi All! I'm read thru the thread here and still don't quite understand
the double carat use of "^^".

Please advise.
Thanks, Matty