Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Total Hours

Per is from Denmark where the word for hours must begin with a t
If you are working in English use [h]:mm
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Linda RQ" wrote in message
I wondered about the text but I didn't know how to get it to give me total
hours. I tried yours and My start time is 12/20/2009 9:43 and my end
time is 12/20/2009 10:43. The total hours for the row is showing 0:00:00.
I typed in -c3-b3 then clicked on the format menu and selected custom but
there wasn't a [t]:mm in there so I selected [t]:mm:ss. When I look in
the formula bar, there is no format set so I tried typing it in but I keep
getting a calculation error, I don't exactly know what needs " " or ( ) or
[ ]

Linda

"Per Jessen" wrote in message
Hi Linda

You can not sum on 'Text' cells

To calculate hours worked use:

=C3-B3

and format column D as custom [t]:mm

Hopes this helps.
Per

"Linda RQ" skrev i meddelelsen
Hi Everyone,

Using Excel 2003. I am calculating my hours worked. I enter in the
start date and time in the B column and the end date and time in the C
column. I use the shortcut Ctrl : <space Ctrl+Shft+ : to enter this. I
have = TEXT(C3-B3,"h:mm") This is working fine.

At the bottom of my D column I have this =SUM(D2:D16) but it is
returning 00:00:00.

I tried using the format cell/custom and picked the hours and minutes as
well as other formats but I can't get it to show up.

I need the total hours and minutes in cell D17

Thanks,
Linda