Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Replacing multiple instances of character

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:58:01 -0800, Colin Foster
wrote:

Hi,
Trying to sort out a spreadsheet that someone's given me... a type-up of a
WW2 pilot's logbook.

For one set of information (pilot flying times) has been typed in a single
column using the Spacebar to line up the 4 columns of data (rather than using
4 separate columns).

So, what I want to do is to convert this. So, what I thought was to replace
the spaces with a single comma between each set of data which I could then do
a data parse to separate. Unfortunately, there are various number of spaces
between each of the sets of data, so any suggestions of a quick way of doing
this?

The way that I thought was to use the SUBSTITUTE function & somehow use a *
wildcard to allow it to deal with different numbers of spaces, but either I'm
doing it wrong, or it can't be done that way.

Any suggestions?

Cheers from a snowy & cold Manchester!

Why not use the Fixed Width option of the Data/Text-to-Columns wizard?
--ron