Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Identify condition using multiple criteria WITHOUT sumproduct?..

Have your considered using pivot tables to do your aggregations. They have
minimal overhaed for file size and almost no calculation overhead. They will
allow you to aggregate your source data in whatever manner you want as a
completely seperate table.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"MeatLightning" wrote:

Hi all -

Not sure if this is possible but... I have data that looks like this:

ID | UNIQUE ID | LINE | VALUE | TYPE |
01 | 01 | 1 | $1 |
YELLOW |
01 | - | 3 | $5 |
RED |
01 | - | 2 | $3 |
BLUE |
04 | 04 | 2 | $5 |
RED |
04 | - | 1 | $1 |
BLUE |

I use a helper column to consolidate the total value of a single ID on the
1st row that ID is found (using UNIQUE ID). So, in the example above there's
a column called "Helper: Total ID Value" w/ the 1st row equal to $9, 2nd row
$0, 3rd $0, 4th $6, 5th $0.

If a record (row) has a type of "BLUE" I want to set a flag on the 1st row
an ID appears in a new helper column. So, using the data above this new
column would have Flag = true on the 1st and 4th rows.

The basic logic I'm looking to implement is something like: Using a given
UNIQUE ID, search through all records with a matching ID and if any have
"BLUE" as a TYPE, return TRUE.

Here's the kicker: I can't use SUMPRODUCT because I have 15K rows and I
suspect my calculation times would become totally unmanageable.

Make sense?

Many thanks for any tips, hints, or condolences you share!
-meat