Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
zia zia is offline

Default MS Excel Function (Find Duplicate values)

I am working on a huge worksheet which contains items master in column A. I
am trying to find duplicate values for item numbers, if any.
To find duplicates i normally use to follwoing formula
Column A Column B Formula
100 True Countif(A:A,A2)1
100 True Countif(A:A,A3)1
Brown True Countif(A:A,A4)1
Brown True Countif(A:A,A5)1
200 False Countif(A:A,A6)1
The above formula works fine for finding duplicates for both text and
numeric values. The problem that I have having is that my Item master has
some products with leading zeros and the above formula does not take them as
different values and will return "True" even though these are different items
numbers. for example for the following item numbers
11
011
0011
I have formatted the column as text so that excel would not eliminate the
leading zeros. Please help me locate the duplicate values. Thanks in advance
for your help.