Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Gary McGill[_2_] Gary McGill[_2_] is offline

Default Poor quality of Excel chart in PowerPoint

Jon,

Thanks - I'm glad to at least hear someone acknowledge that there's an
issue. I'm trying to get slides that look professional, but I could do a
better job in MsPaint.

I've tried to make sure that there's no re-sizing going on (I keep hitting
the "Reset" button on the Size tab of the Object Properties dialog in
PowerPoint), but it doesn't seem to help. I also tried re-sizing the chart in
PowerPoint to see if there was a "magic" size, but I tried everything from
80% to 120% with no luck.

I may have to resort to using a bitmap, but I really would prefer to embed
the chart - not least because I have some charts that are interactive.

IN THEORY, embedding the chart should give better results (especially when
printed) because it can be rendered at any resolution. However, from what I
can tell, PowerPoint isn't asking Excel to re-render the chart - it seems to
be using a preview-like bitmap of the chart, and just scaling it (badly). Do
you happen to know where I can find out the full story behind what PowerPoint
is actually doing?

It strikes me as incredible that the results of embedding a chart would be
so poor - it must have been a fair bit of work for MS to get this whole
embedding thing to work, but why bother if the results are unusable?

Thanks,
Gary