Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier[_2_] Jon Peltier[_2_] is offline

Default Poor quality of Excel chart in PowerPoint

This can be problematic. I've found the best results when the chart is
exactly the size in Excel it needs to be to fit where you want it in the
slide, without any resizing.

I usually use Copy-Picture (hold shift while clicking on the Edit menu),
then I pick the on screen and picture options. PowerPoint 2003 is pretty
good at rendering a bitmap too, even if it is rescaled.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

Gary McGill wrote:
[Office 2003]

I have a long-standing problem that's driven me crazy for years. This is a
cry for help from a desperate man!

The problem I have, briefly, is that when I embed an Excel chart in a
PowerPoint presentation, it looks really bad because the text (e.g. category
labels) is rendered very poorly. Even when I use a standard font like Arial,
and even though it looks absolutely fine in Excel, it comes out blocky and
badly kerned when viewed in PowerPoint.

Its as if the chart has been rendered as a bitmap at screen resolution, and
then scaled slightly, so that all the anti-aliasing of the text goes horribly
awry. And yet, it's even worse than that, because the kerning of the
characters goes wrong too, so you get letters running into one another, or
big ugly gaps between letters.

I don't understand why I can't find any discussion of this on-line. It seems
like such a glaring problem, yet there's virtually no evidence that anyone
else has this issue. I've tried various different systems, and this has been
a consistent thorn in my side for years.

A solution would be nice, but first off - can anyone simply confirm that it
is a problem, and that I'm not going mad?