Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Default Conditional Formatting

I have two ranges from different data sources that look something like this:

rngA:
CstmrID CstmrName
003 Acme Electric
002 Smith & Jones, LLC
082 Wonderbar, Inc

rngB:
CstmrId CstmrName
082 Wonderbar, Inc
002 Smith and Jones, LLC
003 Acme Electric

Starting with rngB.CstmrID, I have used the Match and Index functions to
lookup rngA.CstmrName. I have placed this formula in a new column in rngB.
rngB now looks like this:

rngB:
CstmrId CstmrNameB CstmrNameA
082 Wonderbar, Inc Wonderbar, Inc
002 Smith and Jones, LLC Smith & Jones, LLC
003 Acme Electric Acme Electric

Now I want to conditionally format this new column (CstmrNameA) so that it
will highlight each cell where the CstmrName's are not identical. For
instance, Smith & Jones is spelled differently, so it would be highlighted.

The conditional formatting formula for the first row looks like this:

=B2<C2

But this formula evaluates to TRUE in every cell of the column. I think the
problem is that Excel is comparing the formula entered in B2 with the string
entry in C2 and concluding that every one is different.

I can manually copy/paste the formula column, convert to values, and then do
the conditional formatting. But I would rather not have to do this manual
step.

--
Art