Ragdyer

Thanks for the feed-back.

RD

"craftwoodman" wrote in message
Ragdyer,
I want to thank you for this help. IT WORKED. You can't believe how much
time you are going to save me. I can't say thanks enough. Have a great

new
year.

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Let's try this:

InY1 to Y9, enter this:
A+,A,A-,B+,B,B-,C+,C+C-

In Z1 to Z9, enter this:
9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

This sets up your datalist.

Now, start by clicking in A2.
Then <Format <ConditionalFormat
Change "CellValueIs" to "Formula Is",
And enter this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,$Y$1:$Z$9,2,0)VLOOKUP(A1,$Y$1:$Z$9,2, 0)
Set the format to Green and Bold, then <OK,

Then click the ADD button to enable the entry of condition #2
Again, change "CellValueIs" to "Formula Is",
And enter this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,$Y$1:$Z$9,2,0)=VLOOKUP(A1,$Y$1:$Z$9,2, 0)
*NOTE* - same as first formula except "" changed to "="
Set the format to Gold and Bold, then <OK,

Then click the ADD button again to enable the entry of condition #3
Again, change "CellValueIs" to "Formula Is",
And enter this same formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2,$Y$1:$Z$9,2,0)<VLOOKUP(A1,$Y$1:$Z$9,2, 0)
With the CHANGE here being from "=" to "<"
Set the format to Red and Bold, then <OK, <OK.

You've set the format for A2.

Now, click in A2, then click on the "FormatPainter" icon on the toolbar
(yellow paintbrush),
Click in A3, and drag down to copy as needed, to set the same format for

the
rest of the cells in Column A.
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
"craftwoodman" wrote in message
Gary,
Thanks for the tip, but I don't need to sort. I tried this and it

doesn't
do what I need. What I am trying to do is color code a cell based on

what
is
entered into it. For example: if cell A1 has an A- in it and I enter

an A
in
cell A2, the color of the cell should change to green since the letter

went
up in value. What is happening is excel recognizes the following

sequential
order: A+, A-, A. So in this scenario cell A2 would have actually

turned
red
since excel's order is different. I need to create or change

something so
that cell A2 turns green. I am trying to create a table, but am not

having
much luck at it.

"Gary Rowe" wrote:

You could try creating a custom list to sort by. Click on

Tools/Options
and
the Custom List tab. Enter a new list in the sequence you want and

then
when
you sort select the custom list.
Gary Rowe

"craftwoodman" wrote:

I have a problem that I need to get resolved as soon as possible

and
need
help. I have created a tracking sheet for some stock investments

have.
The web site I use for information is a pay site that uses alpha

and
numeric
characters to show strength and weakness. I have no problem with

the
number
part of this, but the alpha part is driving me crazy. I need to

have
the
alpha characters in the following sequence of order. A+, A, A-,

B+, B,
B-,
C+, C, C-, etc...., but when I use the same =AND formula that I

use
for the
numbers the sequence comes out like this. A+, A-, A, B+, B-, B,

etc.... I
am shading the cell red if the number or letter decreases, green

if it
increases and yellow if it stays the same. Since A is suppose to

follow A+
and be higher in ranking than A- it should show green if A- was in

the
cell
above it in the column and it doesn't it shows red as if it were a

worse
rating. Can someone help me figure this out???? Thanks in

advance
for your
time.