Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Arceedee Arceedee is offline

Default Convert Text to CSV format

Use the "Text to columns" function. When you have pasted the data into A1
ensure that only col A is selected then select Text to columns. This allows
you to chose the delimiters (spaces in your case I expect) and then check and
change or introduce lines to separate the columns. You then have a limited
choice of formatting - Date - Text - Numbers - and ignore I think. It's a
really useful tool. Not sure of it's availability in 2000.

"John Calder" wrote:

Hi

I run Excel 2K

I have a text file that has mutiple columns of data that vary in width. When
I copy & paste this into Excel all the information ends up in one column. I
need to be abale to get all the various coulmns in the text file to go into
individula columns in Excel.

Is there a way of converting the text into a tab delimited file so that I
can achieve this?

Thanks