Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Incorrect result using AVEDEV formula

Don,

AVEDEV returns the Average of the absolute values of the differences between
the values and the average of the values. Using standard functions
(actually, an array formula entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter) this is the same
as AVEDEV

=AVERAGE(ABS(A2:A11-AVERAGE(A2:A11)))

I get the same value as you for both calcs (34.3%).

Unless you post your manual method, we cannot be sure what you are doing
wrong.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Don F" <Don wrote in message
I am getting a result that I beleive is incorrect using the AVEDEV formula.
My data is .492, .580, .589, .735, .803, .819, 1.084, 1.413, 1.423 &
1.613.
AVEDEV is giving me a result of 34.3%, but when I do the calculation by
hand,
I get 31.5%. Does anyone have an idea what I might be doing wrong?