Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ryguy7272 ryguy7272 is offline

Default Need to alphabetize data from separate cells within same row

Not sure what happened to a couple of those first names, but try this:
Select all Data Sort Options Left to Right OK OK

HTH,
Ryan---
--
Ryan---

"marketingchickie" wrote:

Hi there,

I have a worksheet with 6,500 rows of data. In each row, there are up to 6
cells containing a name in "Last, First" format. I need to alphabetize the
data from these 6 cells so they go across the row in order left to right,
alpha by last name.

Example of my data layout:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
Row 1 Jackson, Bob Anderson, Lisa Cardinal, Mike
Row 2 Tomlinson, Steve Dodge, Sarah White, Brian

I need them to be in this order:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
Row 1 Anderson, Lisa Cardinal, Mike Jackson, Bob
Row 2 Dodge, Sarah Tomlinson, Steve White, Brian

Is there a formula I can apply that will pull from only the portion of the
data before the comma in each cell? Or do I need to separate out all of the
names so the first and last names are in separate columns for this to work?

Please help! Thank you.