Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

What are you wanting to do with the info?

To return position (column number) of number 1234 within row 2:
=MATCH(1234,2:2,0)

A formula that signals it's the first occurence:
=COUNTIF($A2:A2,A2)=1

This could be used in a helper row, or as a conditional format formula.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"jabbott" wrote:

I have a row of values that shows the total cumulative number of sales of
items by month. Occasionally, there may be no sales in a month for an item
so the cumulative value would stay the same for more than one month. I want
to select a number in the row the first time it occurs and not select it if
it repeats.