Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Robert H Robert H is offline

Default Excel 2007 Traffic Light with dates

First, thanks for the response.
However, I dont think I can do what you are sugesting in the traffic
light ICON set.

There is no option that I can see to change the order of precidence in
a way that will place yellow at the top of the list, only revers the
order. yellow is always in the middle.

BTW I am using excel2007 getting to where Im with the following
steps: Home Tab, Style group, Conditional Formatting, Manage Rules,
New rule, Under format style select ICON sets, Under ICON style select
"3 Traffic Lights (Untrimmed)

Thanks
Robert

On Nov 20, 1:09*pm, Squeaky wrote:
Just an additional note:

If you change the order in conditional formatting, say, move the yellow to
the top of the list to give that one first preference, you will never get a
green background because the yellow formula overrides the green one
completely, whereas with the green formula on top it only overrides the
yellow when the dates are 7 days and older.

"Robert H" wrote:
I’m trying to use the conditional formatting, traffic light feature
with dates and am finding the new Edit Formula Rule app to be rather
limiting. *Hopefully it’s just my ignorance.

*Cell E1 contains current date (updated when the workbook is opened)
several other cells have fixed expiration dates. *In the expiration
date cells I want traffic lights indicating: red once the date matches
current, yellow seven days in advance, and green anytime the date in
the cell is greater than 7 days beyond the current date.

I can get red and green to work but getting yellow is a mystery.

Green value is set to “E1” and Type set to Number

Yellow says “when < formula and” then there is an option to select
or “=” and enter a value. In the value I have tried “=E1+7 just “=7”
etc but all I can accomplish is that yellow never works or will always
work when the date is exceeded with red never working.

I assume that yellows formula in “when < formula and” is referring to
the “value” for green even if number is selected for green instead of
“formula”. Makes me think that I could never create the condition I
want.

If I sound confused it’s because I am! *The help feature does not
explain the feature that I can find
Any help will be appreciated.
Robert