Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Squeaky Squeaky is offline

Default Excel 2007 Traffic Light with dates

Hi Robert,

Perhaps you need to change the order of preference within your conditional
formatting.

For my experiment I put =today() in cell a1

I then put 11/10/2009 in a2, and dragged it to k2 so it increments up to
today's date.

First, select all the cells you need to format, then go to conditional
formatting and create new rules.
I have the 3 following entries:

=a2<$a$1-7 Background is green

=a2=$a$1 Background is red

=a2<$a$1 Background is yellow

Make sure they in the order as above using the arrows. Apply.

Alter to fit your cells.

Squeaky

"Robert H" wrote:

Im trying to use the conditional formatting, traffic light feature
with dates and am finding the new Edit Formula Rule app to be rather
limiting. Hopefully its just my ignorance.

Cell E1 contains current date (updated when the workbook is opened)
several other cells have fixed expiration dates. In the expiration
date cells I want traffic lights indicating: red once the date matches
current, yellow seven days in advance, and green anytime the date in
the cell is greater than 7 days beyond the current date.

I can get red and green to work but getting yellow is a mystery.

Green value is set to €œE1€ and Type set to Number

Yellow says €œwhen < formula and€ then there is an option to select
or €œ=€ and enter a value. In the value I have tried €œ=E1+7 just €œ=7€
etc but all I can accomplish is that yellow never works or will always
work when the date is exceeded with red never working.

I assume that yellows formula in €œwhen < formula and€ is referring to
the €œvalue€ for green even if number is selected for green instead of
€œformula€. Makes me think that I could never create the condition I
want.

If I sound confused its because I am! The help feature does not
explain the feature that I can find
Any help will be appreciated.
Robert

.