Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Truncate

TRUNC is for numbers only..........tells you that in help.

"Truncates a number to an integer by removing the fractional part of the
number"

What you need is LEFT function.

=LEFT(A1,200) will pull first 200 characters from A1

Use a helper cell with that formula for each of the cells containing more
than 200 chars.

Then copy/paste specialvaluesokesc

Paste overtop of original cells or in another range for customer to use.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:59:04 -0800, Elizabeth
wrote:

I've never used this function before and frankly read all the instructions
and still dont understand it. I have a customer that doesn't want more than
200 characters in his field, presently there are many cells with over the
200. I was told by him to do this function, as a customer I didnt want to
keep asking anymore questions.

Is there a way someone can explain "as if Im 5" how to do this funcition?
Thank you so much