Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Formula based on variable range

Thanks! I gave a somewhat simplified example, but I did some experiments and
can see how MATCH and OFFSET will get me to where I need to go. The problem
was I didn't know about the existence of those functions.

I did have some problems getting MATCH to match a date value unless I
referred to a specific cell, or used the DATE or DATEVALUE function (probably
some others, too). What I'm actually doing is having the user select the
month from one drop-down box and the year from another, then combining those
values using the Date function, with a 1 added for the day.

As I said, I think this puts me on track, but now other things need to be
done before I get back to this project, so I may not be able to work out the
details right away. Thanks again for pointing me in what seems to be the
right direction.

Bernie Deitrick wrote:
Ooops, all the D5s should have been C1s

=SUM(OFFSET($A$2,0,MATCH(C1,1:1)-MIN(MATCH(C1,1:1),12),1,MIN(MATCH(C1,1:1),12)))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Bruce,

[quoted text clipped - 32 lines]
There is one number value for the entire month (in the cell directly below
the one containing the date value).