Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default Which function and how?

You'll want to use the SUMIF function. Works like this:
=SUMIF(Range_with_criteria,Criteria,Range_to_sum)

So, let's say your data is on Sheet 1, and on Sheet 2, you have your list of
fabrics starting in A2. Formula in B2 is:

=SUMIF('Sheet 1'!A:A,A2,'Sheet 1'!B:B)

You can then copy this formula downward and it will return a total for eahc
fabric you have listed.
====
To generate unique list (if needed):

If you have a lot of fabric types you need to create a list for, you can use
Data - Filter - Advanced filter to create a unique list. Select "Copy to
location", input the correct ranges for list range and copy range, leaving
criteria range blank. Check the box for "unique records only".
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Stevet" wrote:

Hello, I'm using Excel 2003
Can anybody help me please, I have a worksheet that has a list of fabric
names (with some names duplicated and sometimes in different areas of the
list, ie; chenille, chenille, Pampas, Aster, Pampas, Chenille) and next to it
is a list of quantities. What I want to do is on another work sheet work out
how much chenille, Pampas and Aster without the need to write everything down
more than once. so for instance a column with Chenille, Pampas and Aster, and
the next column with the corresponding quantities all added up for me.

--
Kind regards,
Stevet