Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Formula based on variable range

I am using Excel 2003.

Cells A1 through X1 contain dates 01-Jan-2008, 01-Feb-2008 ... 01-Dec-2009.
They are formatted Jan-2008, Feb-2008 ... Dec. 2009. The point is that the
day does not matter.

Cells A2 through X2 contain numbers corresponding to the dates (actually, the
month and year represented by the date). Maybe something like 2, 1.5 ... 3.

I would like to specify a month/year and see the total for the cells in the
second row for that month\year and the 11 preceding it. For instance, July
2009 is the end of a twelve-month period August 2008 through July 2009.
These values are in cells H1:S1. I want to specify July-2009 (by typing it
into a cell (say C1), or selecting from month and year drop-down lists, or
whatever works best) and see the total for the numbers in cells H2:S2.

I realize the date range represented by cells H1:S1 is 01-Aug-2008 through 01-
Jul-2009 going by the actual cell values, but that is not of consequence here.
There is one number value for the entire month (in the cell directly below
the one containing the date value).