Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lemmesee Lemmesee is offline

Default index,match - how to avoid same lookup when duplicates present

How Could this be incremented if there were more than 2 instances of the
number?

"Domenic" wrote:

For the second instance, try...

=INDEX(A2:A7,SMALL(IF(B2:B7=12,ROW(A2:A7)-ROW(A2)+1),2))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Nick wrote:

I want to lookup values where duplicates exist but do not want the same
lookup result.
e.g.
1 12
2 35
3 12
4 14
5 13
6 35
How can I use Match, Index to return 1 when looking up 12, then 3 when
looking up 12, what happens now is I lookup 12 and get 1 every time. I've
used pivot tables and that works but its not ideal.
Thanks for all prev help.

Nick