Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default file format is not valid

Your operating system is Vista but which version of Excel do you have?

If using Excel 2007 the recovered file should be *.xlsx, not *.xls

I would be very concerned if Excel shut down half the time when I save a
workbook.

Have you done any trouble-shooting?

Detect and Repair or in 2007 ButtonExel OptionsResourcesDiagnostics

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:12:01 -0800, mbscpa
wrote:

I have vista, exel.
When I work on a file and go to save about half the time excel shuts down
unexpectedly.
The recovery feature saves the file with a file name "filename(version1).xls"
The problem is the recovery panel then gives a message "file format is not
valid".
This renders the recover feature useless.
Help