Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default In Excel, conditional format (font red) referencing another ce

I have a similar issue. I have a spreadsheet where column C contains a list
of sales reps initials and the row is conditionally formatted so each set of
initials fills the cell with a specific color. ME is blue, SC is green, etc.
What I need is for Column A to match the conditional formatting in Column C
for the entire row. I know how to do it one cell at a time, but that will
take entirely too long!

"T. Valko" wrote:

You can apply the formatting all at once (on one sheet at a time).

Let's assume you want to format the range A1:E100. When the cell in column A
= Coffee you want that row (A:E) to be highlighted.

First, delete any conditional formatting that you now have set for that
range. You want to start from scratch. Excel 2007 can really screw things up
if you try to "tweak" what's already there.

Select the entire range of cells A1:E100 starting from cell A1. A1 will be
the active cell. The active cell is the one cell in the selected range that
*is not shaded*. The formula used will be relative to the active cell.
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a
formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the box below:
=$A1="coffee"
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

Repeat this process for the other sheets.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brendan" wrote in message
I am using 2007, and the range is 5 sheets of about 100 rows by 5 columns.
need the conditional formatting of each A cell to apply only to the 4
cells
to the right. I can do it by copying the formatting row by row, but I
don't
5 hours to devote to that. Any suggestions?

"T. Valko" wrote:

What version of Excel are you using and what is the *entire* range of
cells
you want this to apply to?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am trying to set up a time reporting worksheet to incorporate
conditional
formatting across a row based on the text value in the first column.

i.e.: cells A1:D1 are filled in orange when the formula (=A1="Coffee")
is
true

I have had no problem with that portion of the process, but I can't
figure
out how to apply it to more than one row at a time, much less the
entire
worksheet. The only thing I have been able to do is get all of the
selected
cells to turn orange when the specific cell A1="Coffee." Is there a
way
apply the conditional formatting rule of one set of cells to others?

Is there a way to incorporate conditional formatting formulas into a
standard "IF" formula?

Any help would be greatly appreciated