Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CellShocked CellShocked is offline

Default Copy data to different sheets

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:55:01 -0800, James Merrill
wrote:

Bare with me here as I try to explain this because it is somewhat confusing,
I will try to simplify as much as possible. I have a workbook with multiple
sheets. The first sheet (AllData) contains all my data. I have 3 columns of
data: Subject, Student, and Grade. Looks like this:

SUBJECT STUDENT GRADE
math john doe A
science jane doe B
english james C

There are three subsequent sheets named according to the subject: "math",
"science", "english" I want to move all the "math" data onto the math sheet,
science data onto science sheet, and engnlish data onto english sheet.

This is a simplified version, as my real example has 140 different
"subjects" and about 40,000 rows, so doing it manually is a bit out of the
question. Let me know if any of that didnt make sense or if i can further
clarify.

Thanks,
James

Well, regardless of how tedious you think it is, you may as well simply
sort on the subject, and do 140 separate highlight, copy,
paste-into-new-sheet, and delete operations.

Just think... when you are done, you'll be done. Even with advanced
filters, you would still have to make manual selections of each subject
to sort on.

There are macros that can do it, but you should be in the other group
for that: microsoft.public.excel.programming