Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
G. B. Needs Excel Help[_2_] G. B. Needs Excel Help[_2_] is offline

Default If..The Statement to automatically format a name

This worked! Thank you for your help. I tried your formula at work and it
worked perfectly. Thank you, Thank you, This saves alot of time editing
names.

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

For a period...(the earlier one added an apostrophe)

=IF(MID(A1& " xx",FIND(" ",A1& " xx")+2,1)=" ",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",". ",2),A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

If you are looking for a worksheet function try the below with your name in
cell A1 and copy down as required...

=IF(MID(A1& " xx",FIND(" ",A1& " xx")+2,1)=" ",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","' ",2),A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"G. B. Needs Excel Help" wrote:

I am looking for an Excel if..then statement to evaluate a name and insert a
period after a single letter if the name contains a single letter. Example
John Q Smith.

Can excel do this for a list of names that are not the same length. Please
help. These are more examples.
John T James
Janice S Smith
Lola P Simpson