Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom[_3_] Peo Sjoblom[_3_] is offline

Default How can I alphabetize data excluding words like "a" and "the"?

No it doesn't, notice that there are spaces included

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"The ",""),"A ",""),"An ","")

So Angels will not be affected, of course if the movie's name is

"Together On A Sunday" and you are using a capital A before Sunday that will
be stripped but if that's the case one can add some more to it

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="A ",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"A ",""),IF(LEFT(A1,3)="An
",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"An ",""),IF(LEFT(A1,4)="The ",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"The
","",1),A1)))

Peo Sjoblom

"val8rie" wrote in message
That works, but if the first word of a movie without A, or AN or THE,
starts
with any of those characters, this formula removes those first 1 - 3
letters.

IE: "Angels Among Us" in column A, becomes "gels Among Us" in the helper
column.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Create a helper column and strip leading The and A and An,

=Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(A1,"The ",""),"A ",""),"An","")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Faith" wrote in message
I'm cataloging a list of movies, and I'd like to be able to alphabetize

the
titles ignoring words like "a" and "the." Is this possible?