Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Personal.xlsm

Just be careful if you have Excel 2007 and an earlier version of Excel with
a Personal.xls.

I needed a macro for an Excel 2007 file and fogot to save the macro with the
Excel 2007 file. So, by default it saved the macro to Personal macro
workbook which in this case was Personal.xls which is not an Excel 2007 file
format. This caused Personal.xls to be completely hosed! Luckily, I had a
backup copy of Personal.xls.

So, ALWAYS have a backup copy of Personal.*

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Andy" wrote in message
Several people at my company have a personal.xlsm file that stores their
Excel 2007 personal macros. My understanding is that the correct name
should
be personal.xlsb. They seem to work fine. I'm not sure how this
happened,
perhaps when they tried to convert them from personal.xls?

My first question is: should I change the filenames from personal.xlsm to
personal.xlsb or leave them alone? And if I should change them, should I
just rename them outside of Excel?

Thanks for any suggestions.