Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 Conditional formatting challenge question

Luke's formula is for the "Formula is" option in CF, whereas if you were
using =MAX(A1,A8) that would be in the "Cell value is" option.

No, you don't need to copy, and paste special format, because Luke told you:
"Select the first table, A1:C6, with A1 being active cell" before you insert
your CF conditions, and that is what he meant you to do.

The $ signs in =$A1=MAX($A1,$A8) change the column references from being
relative references to being absolute references. Look these terms up in
Excel help. That means that the whole of your range from column A to column
C will be using column A references to determine the format. Select one of
the other cells (C6, for example) and you'll see (if you have used the $
signs in the formula) that they still have the $A column references, though
the row references (without a preceding $ sign) are incremented from 1 to 6
()and from 8 to 13). By contrast if you don't include the $ signs, both row
and column references are incremented as you change row or column.
--
David Biddulph

"John C." wrote in message
Luke,
Ok, I am a bit green on conditional formatting. When the formula is
"=A1=MAX(A1,A8)", why do I need the "=A1" in front of the "=MAX.."? What
if
I left it out? Also, once I establish the first and second table, do i
then
copy the A1 cell and simply special paste just the format in all of the
cells, and then do the same for the second table?

I saw an example on another site using =$A1=MAX($A1,$A8). How do the $
signs restrict the copy in this case?

Thanks for your assistance.

John

"Luke M" wrote:

Select the first table, A1:C6, with A1 being active cell. CF formula is:
=A1=MAX(A1,A8)
Set format, ok out.

Select second table, A8:C13, with A8 being active cell. CF formula is:
=A8=MAX(A1,A8)
Set format, ok out.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"John C." wrote:

I am familiar with how to find a min and max value in a table and
change the
color of the cell and even the font to bold. However, I am stumped
with this
problem. Let's say that I have data in a table from A1 to C6, and from
A8 to
C13. I want to compare A1 to A8, A2 to A9....C6 to C13, and highlight
the
maximum one for each comparison, so that I am comparing apples to
apples.

Will someone please explain how to do this? Thanks for your
consideration.

John